Sunday, February 21, 2010

Just thinking....

You know, it's funny. When I was in high school, my favorite class was creative writing. I use to love coming up with short stories and creative writings in my head that would be put into words on paper. It was fun coming up with the fantasies. I even had a poem published oh so many years ago. Couldn't tell you what it was about but I remember being excited that they chose it. And yet, when I get on here, I'm a jumbled conglomeration of a multitude of ideas (much like those who know my thinking process in real life!) Ahhhh, memories...

It's kind of funny too that it's hard for me to write on paper now. I don't journal, I don't write, I barely read (although I know HOW to). I talk.

Back when I first had children, I was a crafter. Actually, before I was married I was into the whole DIY thing. Well, except for wallpapering and full room painting. (Ask Jeff about the bathroom experiences, lol!!) Albeit basic, I stencilled, sponged and muraled our house's interior. I think that must be where my desire to figure things out on my own came from. Figuring out how to get my ideas to work in the medium I'm working with. I can't draw on paper, but over the years I've been able to get to the point where I can get my ideas across. Stick figures and all!

Fast forward several years and look where my creative outlet lead to...Cakes! Put a piping bag in my hand and it's a whole different story. It all started with a desire to bake for my kids as a stay at home mom. I love to look at them, bake them, decorate them, eat them and share how to make them. I become a different person with cake, and no I'm not talking about the girth I've added because of them, lol. It's my peace. Pardon the pun. It's my solace. It's my happy place. It's also my nemesis, my crutch, my addiction, my life. Anyone who shares the passion of cake decorating understands this good versus evil struggle that sugar artists or really any artist faces every day. You love it, yet you curse it. You think of it all day. You go to the store and see things and say "Oh my, THAT would make a great cake design!" Even during my little hiatus, I think about cake everyday.

I won't be writing about my husband, children or family because I choose that part of my life to be private. You might hear me say something about Jeff because he's my right hand man. My rock. My armature dude.

So, I guess that's it for now. Now you know a little bit more about me and how I got to caking.

No comments:

Post a Comment